Friday, November 23, 2012

Thanksgiving

this year, I am thankful for:
- the opportunity to practice my German every day. I had a dream the other night that I left Germany and several months later was sad that my profiency level in German had slipped. Even when I whine about having to communicate in a non-native language, I am still grateful that I am using it and learning new words constantly here.
- fresh fruits and vegetables.
- being from a place where I can speak my mind and not be arrested or punished by the state for it. to live in a place that has that same freedom.
- living in a developed country.
- readily available high-quality coffee and beer.
- a wonderful apartment with a lovely roommate in a fantastic neighborhood in an amazing city.
- expat friends in Berlin that are having experiences similar to mine. the fact that we can relate to each other about these experiences.
- native German friends who are patient with me when I make grammar mistakes, who enjoy practicing their English with me, who bring me into their world and make me feel more at home here.
- Seattle friends who make an effort to keep up with me even though I'm thousands of miles away.
- Family members who love me even though I haven't been home for the holidays in two years.
- Skype, so I can call these family members and let them run me around my aunt's house as I sit trapped in a laptop.
- an Ersatzfamilie as found in my band, with whom I enjoy drinks, laughter, and lots of music making.
- techno clubs so I can dance the night away if I want to.
- public transportation so that I never have to drive.
- abundant food so that I never have to go hungry.
- clothing so that I never have to be cold.
- my two bikes, even though I am always looking for new ones, I love the bikes I currently have. they get me to work every day. they let me get exercise in a manner that I throroughly enjoy.
- the resources to be able to travel the world, meet new people, see new things.
- my skills and talents, even if I don't use them to the extent that I should.
- having all 5 senses.
- having all 4 extremities.
- having my health.
- being an adult and getting to do whatever I want to do.
- being a citizen of a US state that has the good sense to legalize marijuana and same-sex marriage, creating a better, more equal life for us all.
- döner kebap.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home